Over the last couple of decades, the world has changed immensely in terms of technology. The rise of the Internet has created a truly global world, increasing the amount of communication people have with one another exponentially. Social media, email, chat rooms, and more have changed the way people interact with another. This dramatic shift has also had a huge impact on the music industry. In today’s world, people can simply stream, watch, or download any song they want, often for free. This means that musicians and bands are now making more of their incomes off of performing shows, and much less of it off of selling CDs, downloads, or other forms of their music. Fortunately for musicians, vinyl albums are making a comeback, and with good reason. Here are the top ten reasons to opt for vinyl albums over digital music.
1. Sound quality. It is not up for debate whether vinyl albums or digital music sound better. The former is the clear choice. The more digital music becomes, the more sound quality is lost, period.
2. Durability. The great thing about vinyl albums is that they are incredibly durable. Something could happen to your computer, smartphone, or MP3 player, and you lose all of your music immediately. The truth of the matter is that electronics break. Vinyl albums will last longer than any electronic you own.
3. Collection. One of the great things about vinyl albums is that they make a great collector’s item.
4. Value appreciation. Over time, vinyl albums are worth more money. They are a great investment, and are sure to appreciate over time.
5. Album covers. One of the greatest things about collecting vinyl albums rather than purchasing all of your music digitally is the album covers. Many artists go all out designing their albums, creating some true pieces of art in the process.
6. Hand down. Vinyl albums are great to hand down to your kids, and they’ll absolutely love having the chance to listen to the music you loved when you were younger.
7. Diversity of function. That may sound a little bit confusing, but it refers to the ability to do things with vinyl albums that you simply can’t do with digital music. Mainly, you can use VPI turntables or other turntables to alter the audio of the record. This is what DJs do when they are mixing for an audience. They pause the record, play a part over again, slow it down, or speed it up, all of which create a unique listening experience for the user. This is much more difficult to do with digital music.
8. Library of music. This ties into collecting. There is nothing better than being able to show off your library of music to people when they come over to your home.
9. Memories. Tangible items stick in your memory better than electronic media files.
10. They’re fun. The bottom line about vinyl albums is that they are fun. There is nothing quite like pulling an album out of the sleeve and placing it on your turntable.
If you decide to purchase vinyl albums, be sure to choose a great LP records company like SoundStage Direct.